Brit Pundit

When I was a kid, television was called books

Monday, September 19, 2005

What next for Germany?

With the election result so close (why didn't I put money on the SPD?) it's probably worth taking a moment to examine the most likely outcomes in a coalition government. My gut feeling is that while noone wants to run the election again, Schroeder won't let go easily.

A coalition is far more likely and I expect we'll see some movement during the night. Here are the most likely outcomes:

The Grand Coalition
Between the CDU/SPD with Germany's Thatcher (that worked well for her) Angela Merkel at Chancellor. Bookies favourite.

The traffic light coalition1
Of the SPD/Greens/FDP, although this is unlikely due to the objections of Guido Westerwelle, the FDP leader.

More possible, for my money, is the chance of the CDU forming a coalition with the FDP and the Greens, if Merkel can make concessions to Fischer. But hey! Don't take my word for it, follow it all on www.politicalbetting.com

1 Look, it's to do with the colour of each party OK? Even I wouldn't make that up.

2 Comments:

  • At 8:43 am, Blogger Broadband Guy said…

    Recruiting Pitch for Computer Science Majors
    Web 2.0 Conference 2005 October 5-7, 2005, San Francisco, CA I love collgiate sports, especially Division 1 football and hockey.
    Hey, keep up the great blog here!
    I have a t1 provider site. It pretty much covers t1 provider, t1 provider, and t1 provider information.
    Please stop and check it out if you get time :-)

     
  • At 2:14 pm, Blogger russ said…

    What about the Jamaica coalition!? ;)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home